Re: Security context of shared libraries

On 11/7/2016 2:35 PM, Stephen Smalley wrote:
On 11/05/2016 02:55 PM, mm wrote:
Hi all,

I have an executable started by /bin/foo which runs confined within the
context foo_t.
The process loads (actually does LD_PRELOAD) bar.so which needs to
access resources outside foo_t (actually unconfined_t).

I understand what you are saying but it wouldn't be secure and it is not
possible.  Instead, run bar.so in a separate program/process and have
them communicate over an IPC mechanism.

Thanks for the reply, but it is not clear to me why it would not be secure.

Unfortunately I don't have control on bar.so.
Nonetheless, your reply may suggest the symmetric strategy:
bar.so is in fact an IPC proxy to an external process, say /bin/bar, which currently runs unconfined (and that also I have no control on). What I might think of is to define a bar_t context for /bin/bar, and allow the required access from foo_t to bar_t (instead of allowing from foo_t to unconfined_t). The idea is still to minimize access extension for foo_t, handling the target side instead of the source side.

Moreover, in order not to compromise the functionality of /bin/bar, I would need to allow bar_t the same access as unconfined_t (at least as a first approximation). The fact is that, although I can trust /bin/bar, it is not selinux-aware.

Would this be effective?
What would be the easiest way to define the bar_t context (i.e. define a context with the same access rights as another one)?

Thanks in advance,
M. Manfredini