Re: checkpolicy is broken (which is not)

Hi Dan,

Daniel J Walsh 写道:
> On 08/05/2011 08:56 AM, Stephen Smalley wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 2011-08-05 at 12:19 +0800, Harry Ciao wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Eric,
>>>
>>> Let me explain more about the background story.
>>>
>>> The existing type rule could declare a type, and optionally
>>> associate it with a list of type attributes. So I invented this
>>> "role <regular role> attribute <a list of role attributes>" rule
>>> in the same manner to do the similar things for roles, since I
>>> figure this would make refpolicy rules similar and easy to remember
>>> and use.
>>>
>>> Now that the above new role-attr rule takes care of declaring
>>> roles, this duty has to be removed from role-type rule in order to
>>> avoid ambiguity, and the role-type rule would be used to only
>>> associate types with roles, which only requires TWO lines of code
>>> as in 3cbc9727, since mostly used roles such as system_r have been
>>> declared in kernel.te(in order to avoid some build failure).
>>>
>>> In a word, we could preserve the behavior of role-type rule, but
>>> this would introduce discrepancy between that of role-attr rule
>>> and type-attr rule, considering that getting used to the new
>>> toolchain only requires an easy cherry-pick of only 2 lines of
>>> change, would it be that desirable for us to do so?
>>>
>> I don't think we should introduce an incompatible policy language
>> change without very strong reasons.  It is fine to introduce new
>> constructs like your role...attribute construct, but we shouldn't
>> change the meaning of role...type statements and thereby render
>> invalid policies that used to be valid.
>>

> Well I will say that I thought the old construct did not make sense,
> since we have to declare most objects in the lanquage except for roles.
>
> This will help to find problems in the policy also like people doing
>
> role httpd_t types httpd_t;
>
> Which I have seen in the past.

During developing role-attribute patchset, I'd discovered two similar
mistakes after removing implicit role declaration from role-type rule:

1. mozilla_run_plugin(mozilla_t, $2)
2. seutil_run_semanage(lsassd_t, lsassd_t)

Both of them had been fixed in the latest refpolicy.

If people prefer to older refpolicy with the latest toolchain, I would
suggest them to cherry-pick fixes for above two obvious mistakes.

> I just got the new toolchain to work with Fedora policy.

Thanks! Any further issue with the role-attribute rules, just let me know!

Cheers,
Harry