Re: FUSE and SELinux labeling

On 5/15/2011 10:40 AM, Sam Gandhi wrote:
Hi

Is there a FAQ or some description on what one needs to do to enable
labeling on files created under a fuse filesystem?

When I mount my fuse file system I see message like

SELinux: initialized (dev fuse, type fuse), not configured for labeling

Now if I use statement such as shown below in my SELinux policy before

fs_use_xattr fuse system_u:object_r:fs_t;

But then when I try to mount fuse file system using simple fuse hello
program as hello /tmp/foo, I see message:

SELinux: (dev fuse, type fuse) getxattr errno 4 on console and my system hangs!

( Has anybody been successful in adding the SELinux labels to file
created  by fuse? I have search both fuse and SElinux mailing list,
also done bit of google search and nothing comes up , either this is
way too simple thing to do and I am missing obvious thing)

Would appreciate any help.

( I had sent message earlier to fuse-devel, but didn't cross-post it
to SELinux )
-Sam

So the short answer to this is No you can't use xattr style labeling on fuse. Eric Paris in the past tried to do this but it was unsucessful. If I remember correctly there were some weird conditions in fuse which would cause deadlocks. Attempts were made to fix this problem but it seemed that it was an ideological issue just as much as a technical one. Someone had posted a similar question back around December or September I believe and it should have a more complete view of the problem. The list of things that would need to be done would be allow FUSE to pass the name of the fusefs to the security server so it can decide what to do with the particular fusefs. The second thing would be to fix the deadlock issue in fuse but I don't think you're going to make progress on that. Dominick in another thread said that fuse doesn't support xattrs. If that is the case then you would need to implement fuse xattr handlers as well and the fuse interface for them. This list probably isn't complete as I don't remember the full details of the conversation from back then.

Dave