Re: [RFC 1/2] labeled ipsec internet drafts

On Wed, 2008-08-27 at 16:50 -0400, Paul Moore wrote:
> Hi Joy, et al.
>
> I'll respond to the rest of you email a little bit later when I have
> some time but since you and David have been having a good discussion
> around DOI issues I wanted to add some quick comments ... (see below)
>
> On Wednesday 27 August 2008 2:41:48 pm Joy Latten wrote:

> I've had many discussions with Randall regarding this topic, I even
> offered a series of edits to earlier CALIPSO (back when it was still
> SIPSO, yipee for the name change!) drafts which introduced a more
> generic DTE labeling mechanism.  After much discussion Randall agreed
> that having a more generic, DTE-friendly labeling mechanism would be
> nice but he wanted to keep CALIPSO focused on MLS labeling since that
> was the feedback he had been receiving.  He was very helpful and the
> discussion unveiled many potential issues with a DTE labeling protocol,
> primarily around the need to make the protocol more intermediate hop
> friendly.

I very much liked your idea of generic. This is kinda where I want to
go, something that would be somewhat flexible enough to possibly allow
DTE and/or MLS labels, because the information is "opaque" to the
protocol, at least the ipsec protocol.

> I am currently waiting to see how the CALIPSO specification is received
> by the general IETF SAAG community, especially the assertion that
> explicit packet labeling is an important user requirement.  If the
> CALIPSO specification is well received I plan on submitting a draft
> specification which will provide a more general packet labeling
> mechanism for IPv6 and possibly IPv4.

Do you mean one that would take a more generic label?

> > > Well we might need to talk with the CALIPSO people to figure out a
> > > way that we can all use their DOI scheme. At its core their method
> > > just seems to be a dotted-quad format as you have said. IANA's job
> > > is to keep track of these dotted-quads.
>
> The CALIPSO DOI is defined as a opaque 32 bit unsigned integer, similar
> to CIPSO and your description of labeled NFS's DOI.  The dotted
> notation used in part of the CALIPSO draft is just a convenient way of
> representing the value in the same way we represent IPv4 addresses.
>
> The CALIPSO specification does set aside DOI ranges for specific uses
> (is this the source of confusion?) which I think is a good idea and I
> would encourage other protocols to follow suit.

The CALIPSO draft restricted the amount of DOIs given to an
organization. And I am thinking that if we share a DOI registry,  I will
need more than one if I want any security mechanism that uses labeled
ipsec to also have a range for private use. I wasn't sure how this would
fit into what the draft stated. Thus my confusion. But I do think it
would be really great if we could share a registry and use DOIs in such
a similar manner that we could even share the values. Am I making sense?
What I mean is labeled ipsec could use the same DOIs as labeled nfs and
CALIPSO. It would not have to allocate a separate range of them.

regards,
Joy