Re: [RFC 1/2] labeled ipsec internet drafts

Hi Joy, et al.

I'll respond to the rest of you email a little bit later when I have
some time but since you and David have been having a good discussion
around DOI issues I wanted to add some quick comments ... (see below)

On Wednesday 27 August 2008 2:41:48 pm Joy Latten wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-08-27 at 12:49 -0400, David P. Quigley wrote:

I've had many discussions with Randall regarding this topic, I even
offered a series of edits to earlier CALIPSO (back when it was still
SIPSO, yipee for the name change!) drafts which introduced a more
generic DTE labeling mechanism.  After much discussion Randall agreed
that having a more generic, DTE-friendly labeling mechanism would be
nice but he wanted to keep CALIPSO focused on MLS labeling since that
was the feedback he had been receiving.  He was very helpful and the
discussion unveiled many potential issues with a DTE labeling protocol,
primarily around the need to make the protocol more intermediate hop
friendly.

I am currently waiting to see how the CALIPSO specification is received
by the general IETF SAAG community, especially the assertion that
explicit packet labeling is an important user requirement.  If the
CALIPSO specification is well received I plan on submitting a draft
specification which will provide a more general packet labeling
mechanism for IPv6 and possibly IPv4.

> > > Ok, gotta admit, I am a little confused as to how we could share
> > > the same DOI registry with CALIPSO since they are using a
> > > dotted-quad format right now? And it doesn't seem to accomodate
> > > but one DOI from IANA which leaves me confused as to how I would
> > > get one and then partition it for private and non-private uses.
> >
> > Well we might need to talk with the CALIPSO people to figure out a
> > way that we can all use their DOI scheme. At its core their method
> > just seems to be a dotted-quad format as you have said. IANA's job
> > is to keep track of these dotted-quads.

The CALIPSO DOI is defined as a opaque 32 bit unsigned integer, similar
to CIPSO and your description of labeled NFS's DOI.  The dotted
notation used in part of the CALIPSO draft is just a convenient way of
representing the value in the same way we represent IPv4 addresses.

The CALIPSO specification does set aside DOI ranges for specific uses
(is this the source of confusion?) which I think is a good idea and I
would encourage other protocols to follow suit.

> > > Because there is already a working prototype of labeled ipsec in
> > > Linux, I would have very much like to get assignments from IANA
> > > now for SELinux. I would like to make necessary modifications to
> > > Linux kernel and userspace soon as possible because it would seem
> > > odd to me to have an internet draft and a prototype that does not
> > > comply to it. It would also help to set a precedent of what would
> > > be required when asking for DOI assignments ( I hope I said that
> > > correctly).

I'm sure you've gotten feedback from others on this but nothing
involving the IETF is "quick".  Be prepared for a potentially lengthy
discussion and understand that just because the Linux Kernel already
has a labeled IPsec implementation does not mean it will be accepted
as-is by the IETF community.

> > About the BOF, I sent an email to the Security Area Director about
> > setting up a BOF and it was suggested that we start with a Bar BOF
> > first. This type of BOF isn't as formal as a normal one but regular
> > BOFs are usually formed for the purpose of trying to start a
> > working group. Even though it is an informal BOF it still needs to
> > have a clear purpose and a set of goals to accomplish. The main
> > issue I see at the moment is going to be DOIs. Like we've seen we
> > have three competing definitions of them and it would be nice to
> > nail it down to one that we can all agree on.
> >
> > However this doesn't necessarily have to be the only thing we
> > discuss. When I post the information about the Bar BOF I am going
> > to do a call for participation for other topics as well. For all we
> > know there might be other security label people lurking in other
> > working groups that might have topics they want to discuss.

Please include me in the BOF notice/invite.

--
paul moore
linux @ hp