Re: Socket and inode label consistency

On Wednesday 27 August 2008 4:06:55 pm Casey Schaufler wrote:
> Yes, it would be weird to change the label on a TCP connection
> midstream, but not unheard of. If you need an example think of
> what you might want to do with a diskless boot, or some of the
> less sophisticated clustering schemes.

Speaking purely in regards to the current Linux implementation, the
thing that concerns me about stream sockets is that it is difficult, if
not impossible, to ensure that the relabel happens at a specific data
boundary in the stream.  Retransmission is another issue but might work
okay depending where in the kernel the queue/retransmission takes
place, I would need to check that.  I suppose all of these things can
be addressed but it would be take a little bit of work and until I see
an application/user that needs this functionality I can't justify
spending time on it (my todo list is already way too long).

If you look carefully at the new labeled networking bits for 2.6.28 you
will see that while we add the ability to change labeling based on the
destination address, we do not allow labeling to change on an existing
connection (although you can disconnect and reconnect a socket to a
different destination allowing you to change the network labeling).

--
paul moore
linux @ hp