Re: [RFC 1/2] labeled ipsec internet drafts

On Wednesday 27 August 2008 5:33:05 pm David P. Quigley wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-08-27 at 16:50 -0400, Paul Moore wrote:
> > I am currently waiting to see how the CALIPSO specification is
> > received by the general IETF SAAG community, especially the
> > assertion that explicit packet labeling is an important user
> > requirement.  If the CALIPSO specification is well received I plan
> > on submitting a draft specification which will provide a more
> > general packet labeling mechanism for IPv6 and possibly IPv4.
>
> When I was in Dublin it was suggested that I look at the CALIPSO
> draft for DOI related information so they are well aware of it and it
> doesn't seem to have hit much resistance yet.

Yep, although it still hasn't really hit a really wide distribution,
the -05 draft was just recently submitted and it should see a wider
audience than previous drafts.  As one would expect there is a fair
amount of political wrangling going on but so far things look good.

> > The CALIPSO DOI is defined as a opaque 32 bit unsigned integer,
> > similar to CIPSO and your description of labeled NFS's DOI.  The
> > dotted notation used in part of the CALIPSO draft is just a
> > convenient way of representing the value in the same way we
> > represent IPv4 addresses.
> >
> > The CALIPSO specification does set aside DOI ranges for specific
> > uses (is this the source of confusion?) which I think is a good
> > idea and I would encourage other protocols to follow suit.
>
> What do they mean by opaque 32 bit integer here? If they are defining
> ranges and assignments to the integer it can't truly be opaque. I
> don't recommend we transport the DOI as the colon separated octet
> group but for the purpose of assigning DOIs and ranges and even
> specifying them in programs I think the syntax is useful.

By opaque value I think they mean a single 32 unsigned integer that
isn't to be subdivided.  While I agree that blocking off certain ranges
of DOIs for specific uses does seem to raise eyebrows in regards to
the "opaque" claim, the ranges don't violate the fact that it is still
a 32 bit unsigned integer.

How the value is represented is another matter entirely, the CALIPSO
authors chose the IPv4'esque dotted notation which seems as good as any
to me.

> I hesitate to say this but I think it might be a good idea to draw up
> a draft explaining what a DOI is and what is expected from IANA for
> them. I've received emails from people working on security labels in
> application layer protocols so they might be interested in a standard
> method for specifying and interpreting DOIs as well.

That sounds like it might be reasonable as an informational RFC.  If you
are looking help I'd be more than happy to contribute or review.  It is
probably a good idea to contact Randall as I think he has the most
current user/IETF feedback on DOI issues.

--
paul moore
linux @ hp