Re: Unreserved portnumbers in corenetwork

On Mar 5, 2008, at 9:32 PM, Daniel J Walsh wrote:

Ronald van den Blink wrote:

On Mar 5, 2008, at 5:43 PM, Christopher J. PeBenito wrote:

On Wed, 2008-03-05 at 17:16 +0100, Ronald van den Blink wrote:
On Mar 5, 2008, at 5:05 PM, Christopher J. PeBenito wrote:

On Wed, 2008-03-05 at 16:47 +0100, selinux@xxxxxx wrote:
Unfortunately there are 3 forces at work. The first is that for the
most part, ports should always be labeled, because, for example,
port 80
is always going to be regarded as the http port. The second is that
thats not always the case for non well-defined ports (your
situation).
The third is that portcons (the port labeling statements) only
work in
the base module.  So, though we want to make a happy medium
between the
first two, we can't overcome the final one within the constraints
of the
current toolchain.

Agree with that. But wouldn't the situation be a little less
complicated
if you decide not to define any ports above 1024 in the reference
policy?

That breaks people that just want to use reference policy.

Does this mean that any module in the refpol that needs (for instance) port 8080 but isn't a http-cache-daemon uses corenetwork_httpd_cache
and get's all the other ports defined there as well? Isn't that
breaking the least priviliges idea? Because you're opening up more
ports then needed?

It depends on how far you want/need to take least privilege. By this argument, having all of the shared libraries in /lib and /usr/lib being the same label would be bad. You have to evaluate the impact on your
security goals.

Well, that's exactly the reason why we choose not to label the libraries
in /opt/jboss/lib (or whatever the exact place is) lib_t but
jboss_lib_t, we don't want those lib's to be shared. In our view it is a
security risk to declare a range of (unprivileged) ports as (in our
case) http_cache and use them for just one of the ports ;) But, that's just one of the reasons. We are still wondering if it is a good approach to stop declaring ports > 1024 in corenetwork and make a generic handler
so modules can create ports > 1024 on the fly if needed.

--
Chris PeBenito
Tresys Technology, LLC

I like Stephen suggestion of removing corenetwork ports altogether is
defining them via semanage.  This would allow flexibility where a user
wants to allow apache to listen on a special port but not port 80.

Currently you can not remove a port that is defined in corenetwork.

The problem with removing corenetwork and adding all the ports via
semanage would take a very long time with the current tool chain.

I think that that is definitely a better way of working then the way we do it right now. If we choose this (semanage) as the way to go you give people more flexibility and security. How much work has to be done if this is the change we want?