Re: Unreserved portnumbers in corenetwork

On Wed, 2008-03-05 at 17:16 +0100, Ronald van den Blink wrote:

> >> Agree with that. But wouldn't the situation be a little less
> >> complicated
> >> if you decide not to define any ports above 1024 in the reference
> >> policy?
> >
> > That breaks people that just want to use reference policy.
> >
> Does this mean that any module in the refpol that needs (for instance)
> port 8080 but isn't a http-cache-daemon uses corenetwork_httpd_cache
> and get's all the other ports defined there as well? Isn't that
> breaking the least priviliges idea? Because you're opening up more
> ports then needed?

It depends on how far you want/need to take least privilege.  By this
argument, having all of the shared libraries in /lib and /usr/lib being
the same label would be bad.  You have to evaluate the impact on your
security goals.

--
Chris PeBenito
Tresys Technology, LLC