Re: Unreserved portnumbers in corenetwork

> Unfortunately there are 3 forces at work.  The first is that for the
> most part, ports should always be labeled, because, for example, port 80
> is always going to be regarded as the http port.  The second is that
> thats not always the case for non well-defined ports (your situation).
> The third is that portcons (the port labeling statements) only work in
> the base module.  So, though we want to make a happy medium between the
> first two, we can't overcome the final one within the constraints of the
> current toolchain.

Agree with that. But wouldn't the situation be a little less complicated
if you decide not to define any ports above 1024 in the reference policy?

If you decide to do that, you could create a portcon that allows a single
active module to claim a port above 1024 on a per module basis. A second
module could claim another one, as long as it's not equal to the first
(active) one.

In this way you create a generic handler for modules that need ports above
1024 and can create a reference policy with modules with the same ports.
As long as they are not both active, you wouldn't have any problem.