Re: Unreserved portnumbers in corenetwork

On Wed, 2008-03-05 at 15:32 -0500, Daniel J Walsh wrote:

> Ronald van den Blink wrote:

> >> It depends on how far you want/need to take least privilege.  By this
> >> argument, having all of the shared libraries in /lib and /usr/lib being
> >> the same label would be bad.  You have to evaluate the impact on your
> >> security goals.
> >>
> > Well, that's exactly the reason why we choose not to label the libraries
> > in /opt/jboss/lib (or whatever the exact place is) lib_t but
> > jboss_lib_t, we don't want those lib's to be shared. In our view it is a
> > security risk to declare a range of (unprivileged) ports as (in our
> > case) http_cache and use them for just one of the ports ;) But, that's
> > just one of the reasons. We are still wondering if it is a good approach
> > to stop declaring ports > 1024 in corenetwork and make a generic handler
> > so modules can create ports > 1024 on the fly if needed.
> >

> >> --
> >> Chris PeBenito
> >> Tresys Technology, LLC
> >> (410) 290-1411 x150
> >>

> >> --
> I like Stephen suggestion of removing corenetwork ports altogether is
> defining them via semanage.  This would allow flexibility where a user
> wants to allow apache to listen on a special port but not port 80.
>
> Currently you can not remove a port that is defined in corenetwork.
>
> The problem with removing corenetwork and adding all the ports via
> semanage would take a very long time with the current tool chain.

Should be a simple extension to semanage front end to take a set of port
contexts and update them in a single libsemanage transaction.  Just like
semodule lets you insert a set of modules together in a single
transaction.

--
Stephen Smalley
National Security Agency