Re: mailserver performance (off topic?)

> Im going to setup a postfix server on a P3 866Mhz, 512mb ram, 256mb cache,
> UWSCSI 30gb to handle about 10.000 clients at the beginning, and as time
> pass on, hopefully about 50.ooo. I would like to know some more about what
> kind of security there should be? Of course everything except mail and ssh
> (allowed from certain hosts) will be allowed

I suppose you mean everything else will be disallowed ?  Are you going to
further serve mail via pop3 or anything ?   You shuld keep your thousands
of users off the machine as far as logins are concerned.

> from the security point of view that one should take care of? Also if

I'd opt for Immunix - or at least myself stackguard the network programs.
With no local users you can be pretty brutal about minimal s/w installed
and most s[ug]id bits cleared.

> someone knows howto finetune this server to perform even better, both
> hardware and software. Im most probably going to use Red Hat 7.0 or 7.1

I'd spend a bit of time learning about the different storage formats used
by postfix before using it on this scale.