Re: For discussion - CVS at sourceforge

--- In script-fu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Ismael Valladolid Torres
<ismaeval@xxxx> wrote:

> lasm.rm wrote:
>
> >   it started when Ismael posted the Analogize script, then i
noticed
> > he had a German web page in some kind of source forge-like
> > management system... which set me thinking ... hmm... how about
> > giving source forge a try and see what it is like ?
>
> It's not that I have a german web page. [1]BerliOS is kind of a
> [2]Sourceforge clone, with kind of an european scope. I like it
mainly
> for some reasons: Runs faster, it's less overbloated than
Sourceforge
> and each project gets a wiki at [3]OpenFacts.

   Agree with you.. Sourceforge is like a maze, if you are first
time user, getting lost in the complex menu is expected.. Now i have
a better understanding how it works.. The menu navigation is a
pain in the unspeakable @#$^%:-) No wonder so many projects die
even before it started... !! The developers probably got overwhelmed
in the maze..

> > 1) still need to keep different version names to store in the
Files
> > archive at yahoogroup, otherwise the version is not apparent
until
> > you open the file to look..
>
> But that's a plus! Even using CVS, you'll need to release a stable
> snapshot of your work some time. CVS handles internal revision
numbers
> for all your files, then you decide what version to give to the
released
> blunde.

Yes. What i meant was outside of CVS, you need to invent
something like filename-1-0, and the translation between that
and filename is not automatic, if you need to archived it
like in the Files section of yahoogroups..

i was a little surprised that backups are the responsibility
of the project owners !! i thought they should take this
pain away and make it easier for projects to survive there ??

> The definitive plus for CVS is how it handles multiple developers
> editing the same code. If modifications done by both don't
conflict,
> everything's all right. If they do, when committing they're
presented a
> list of conflicts so they can resolve them before getting
something that
> works.

Yes... If the developers know what they are doing, it should
work out fine.. Communication is important..

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/e4wwlB/TM