Re: For discussion - CVS at sourceforge

lasm.rm wrote:

>   it started when Ismael posted the Analogize script, then i noticed
> he had a German web page in some kind of source forge-like
> management system... which set me thinking ... hmm... how about
> giving source forge a try and see what it is like ?

It's not that I have a german web page. [1]BerliOS is kind of a
[2]Sourceforge clone, with kind of an european scope. I like it mainly
for some reasons: Runs faster, it's less overbloated than Sourceforge
and each project gets a wiki at [3]OpenFacts.

1. http://developer.berlios.de/
2. http://sourceforge.net/index.php
3. http://openfacts.berlios.de/

> 1) "Unlimited" screen shots space !! Ha Ha.. i'm a kind of visual
> guy, so i like to see the screen before i'll download something..
> Compared to the photos area of yahoogroups, we have a couple photos
> and it's already hitting 15%..

At BerliOS, web space is also free and unlimited as far as you put their
logo in your web page!

> 1) still need to keep different version names to store in the Files
> archive at yahoogroup, otherwise the version is not apparent until
> you open the file to look..

But that's a plus! Even using CVS, you'll need to release a stable
snapshot of your work some time. CVS handles internal revision numbers
for all your files, then you decide what version to give to the released
blunde.

The definitive plus for CVS is how it handles multiple developers
editing the same code. If modifications done by both don't conflict,
everything's all right. If they do, when committing they're presented a
list of conflicts so they can resolve them before getting something that
works.

Not to talk about the choice of having multiple developement branches
for complex projects.

Cordially, Ismael
--
Dropping science like when Galileo dropped his orange

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/e4wwlB/TM