Re: [Redhat-s390-list] Install feedback

On Fri, 2 Feb 2001, Michael Durket wrote:

> 1) The installer does not successfully dasdfmt and mke2fs the volumes
>    (it says it's formatting, but the usual messages from dasdfmt do not
>     appear on the system console, and it takes very little time to complete
>     each volume).

This is probably intentional.
Did you have a previous install on the same lpar or vm virtual host?
If so, running dasdfmt again isn't necessary, and therefore won't be done.
mke2fs is still run.

Basically, we check /proc/dasd/devices, and if a device is already marked
active and in a usable format, we don't run dasdfmt - it would be a waste
of time.

> There's also no place to specify which volume should be swap,

Yes, known missing feature. We thought it was not that important because
S390 machines usually have so much memory that the lack of swap is hardly
an issue.
This will be added in a future version.

> 2) When loading the RPMS from the NFS volume, you get constant error messages
>    regarding the inability to monitor the NFS server (something related to
>    lockd I suppose). However, the install of the RPMS  seems to work.

Known problem if you installed to an LPAR (doesn't happen in VM). Nothing
to worry about, though. Since all accesses to the packages directory are
read-only, there's no real problem with the lack of locking aside from the
error messages.
This will be fixed in a future release.

> 3) xauth seems to not be installed - this causes an error when using ssh
>    to get to the newly-built system.

I'll fix this.

> 4) The preliminary instructions are sketchy at best. You don't apparently need
>    to run gen-nfsroot, all you have to do is untar the nfs-root package that's
>    already been built.

Right - gen-nfsroot builds the nfs-root package from the RPMs in the tree.
It's what we're using, we just forgot to remove the instruction when we
decided to just tar up the results. ;)
Fixing.

> 5) There's some weird error message during the initial boot about the clock
>    going backwards and taking countermeasures - can't figure out what that's
>    about.

Nothing to worry about. This is an indication that you got a reply from a
ping with a timestamp earlier than the one included in the original ping
request. We're not yet sure what's causing this, but the kernel can handle
this type of thing.

Another tip: The installer installs only a selection of packages we
believe to make sense on S390. If you need anything else, look at the RPMs
directory, it includes a lot of other stuff (such as builds of KDE and
GNOME).

LLaP
bero

[Index of Archives]     [Fedora General Discussion]     [LKML]     [Red Hat Install]     [Red Hat Watch]     [Red Hat Development]     [Linux s390]     [Gimp]     [Yosemite News]