Re: [Redhat-s390-list] Install feedback

On Fri, Feb 02, 2001 at 11:37:13PM -0800, Michael Durket wrote:
> I believe that I've installed the private beta. However, I ran into the
> following problems:
>
> 1) The installer does not successfully dasdfmt and mke2fs the volumes
>    (it says it's formatting, but the usual messages from dasdfmt do not
>     appear on the system console, and it takes very little time to complete
>     each volume). Doing my own dasdfmt and mke2fs worked fine. There's also
>     no place to specify which volume should be swap, but I did a mkswap on
>     the swap volume after formatting it and on the boot of the newly installed
>     system it found it, so no big deal.

We have to look into this.

> 2) When loading the RPMS from the NFS volume, you get constant error messages
>    regarding the inability to monitor the NFS server (something related to
>    lockd I suppose). However, the install of the RPMS  seems to work.

NFS seems to have problems. Either kernel problem or a compiler problem
miscompiling the kernel. If we do a "rpm --rebuild anyrpm.rpm", this
will fail with an I/O error pretty soon.
For the installation, we first copy the complete rpm and then install it.
Bad hack, but you at least get the rpms installed... :-)

> 3) xauth seems to not be installed - this causes an error when using ssh
>    to get to the newly-built system.

This is a problem with the NFS-install environment, but not in the final
installation, right? I think this is ok and we should just disable
X11 forwarding or something similar to suppress this warning.

If this is in the installed system, please check if your PATH has
/usr/X11R6/bin included and XFree86-4.0.*.rpm is installed.
This should get fixed before the public release.

> 4) The preliminary instructions are sketchy at best. You don't apparently need
>    to run gen-nfsroot, all you have to do is untar the nfs-root package that's
>    already been built.

Fixed now.

> 5) There's some weird error message during the initial boot about the clock
>    going backwards and taking countermeasures - can't figure out what that's
>    about.

That's a warning from "ping". We experimented with the 2.4 kernel and
the NFS mount worked fine for us if we first get some network packets
out. :-)

> All in all, though, it's RedHat - and except for the oversights (which are
> understandable), it's more complete than the SuSE GA version, where many things
> are not present, and you have to go hunting all over the web for the RPMs you're
> missing.

Thanks a lot for the above comments. I try to put them into the release notes,
so that other people know about them.

cu,

Florian La Roche

[Index of Archives]     [Fedora General Discussion]     [LKML]     [Red Hat Install]     [Red Hat Watch]     [Red Hat Development]     [Linux s390]     [Gimp]     [Yosemite News]