Re: rpmbuild -t? tarball options

Sorry for the late reply. Your mail got lost somewhere in the moderation
queue.

As rpm 4.2 is pretty old (2003) I assume you are using AIX or Hpux or
any of the other Unixes (who are probably shipping their own version of
tar). So I doubt anyone is interested fixing this issue. It is probably
easier to just use rpm -b after extracting the spec file from the
tarball and copying it to the SPECS directory on your own.

Florian

On 10/26/2015 02:27 PM, Schwarz, Konrad wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am having no success in getting the rpmbuild –t? tarball options to
> work, at least for rpmbuild –version == 4.2.
>
> As documented in the man page, rpmbuild –t? tarball is similar to
> rpmbuild –b? pkg.spec, except that the spec file is supposed to be in
> the tar file tarball.  I place pkg.spec at the top level within tarball.
>
> Tracing rpmbuild with strace shows e.g. the following line
>
> rename("/tmp/RACE-topdir/SPECS/rpm-spec.qG1peR",
> "/tmp/RACE-topdir/SPECS/tar: Pattern matching characters used in file
> names") = 0
>
> which suspiciously looks like rpmbuild is tripping over the output of tar.
>
> At the end of the run, I get the usual error messages as recorded in
> _https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora_Draft_Documentation/0.1/html/RPM_Guide/ch11s02s02.html_
> .  Despite the title /The expected archive structure/, it looks like the
> authors of that publication didn’t ever get the –t? options to work
> either, as they show only the errors and not the expected archive structure.
>
> Is there any way to get the –t? options to work? And with Version 4.2?
>
> Konrad

Red Hat GmbH, http://www.de.redhat.com/ Registered seat: Grasbrunn,
Managing Directors: Charles Cachera, Michael Cunningham, Michael
O'Neill, Charles Peters