rpmbuild -t? tarball options

Hello,

I am having no success in getting the rpmbuild t? tarball options to work, at least for rpmbuild version == 4.2.

As documented in the man page, rpmbuild t? tarball is similar to rpmbuild b? pkg.spec, except that the spec file is supposed to be in the tar file tarball.  I place pkg.spec at the top level within tarball.

Tracing rpmbuild with strace shows e.g. the following line

rename("/tmp/RACE-topdir/SPECS/rpm-spec.qG1peR", "/tmp/RACE-topdir/SPECS/tar: Pattern matching characters used in file names") = 0

which suspiciously looks like rpmbuild is tripping over the output of tar.

At the end of the run, I get the usual error messages as recorded in https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora_Draft_Documentation/0.1/html/RPM_Guide/ch11s02s02.html .  Despite the title The expected archive structure, it looks like the authors of that publication didn’t ever get the –t? options to work either, as they show only the errors and not the expected archive structure.

Is there any way to get the –t? options to work? And with Version 4.2?

Konrad