Re: Building my first RPM

On 20. 2. 2015 at 04:49:38, Blaxton wrote:
> I am trying to build Python RPM and trying to keep .spec file as simple as I
> can. build, compile, install and package is completed and now I have the
> binary RPMto install, but getting below error at the time of installation:
> error: failed dependencies:
>         /usr/local/bin/python is needed by Python-3.4.2-1
> any idea what I am doing wrong ?Do I need to have python 2 ? to have python
> 3 installed ?or I am missing some thing in .spec file ?
>
> For now I am packaging what ever it is in buildroot directory.
>
> make DESTDIR=${RPM_BUILD_ROOT} install
>

> %files
> %defattr(-,root,system,-)
> /usr/local/bin/*
> /usr/local/lib/*
> /usr/local/share/*
> /usr/local/include/*

For packaging something as complex as Python I'd use some existing spec file as
template. I am also not sure how simple can the final package be and still work
well. Spec file of Python 2.7.9 in Fedora rawhide has ~1000 lines of actual
code/declarations.

Anyway, there is not much information to go on in your question. Could you
send a list of files actually contained in the rpm package you are trying to
install and the list of dependencies of that package? Also, are you using rpm
to install the package or some higher level installer like yum or dnf? Also
seeing the spec file might help a lot.

If I had to guess, /usr/local/bin/python is not packaged in your rpm for
whatever reason and that's why you see the error message.

Finally, I'd like to point out that there are more suitable lists for this
question like Fedora devel list, where most of the skilled Fedora packagers
lurk.

Thanks
Jan