Re: Building my first RPM

On 02/20/2015 05:49 AM, Blaxton wrote:
> I am trying to build Python RPM and trying to keep .spec file as simple
> as I can.
>
> build, compile, install and package is completed and now I have the
> binary RPM
> to install, but getting below error at the time of installation:
>
> error: failed dependencies:
>         /usr/local/bin/python is needed by Python-3.4.2-1
>
> any idea what I am doing wrong ?

There is probably a script somewhere having a #!/usr/local/bin/python
line. Either include a symlink link /usr/local/bin/python -> python3
(which may break other packages you might build later and expect Python
2) or change the #! line.

As you are kinda building your own distribution you kinda can decide on
your own what /usr/local/bin/python should mean. But a lot of other
distros are still on Python2 as default and the plain "python" binary is
Python 2.

> Do I need to have python 2 ? to have python 3 installed ?
> or I am missing some thing in .spec file ?
>
> For now I am packaging what ever it is in buildroot directory.
>
> make DESTDIR=${RPM_BUILD_ROOT} install
>

> %files
> %defattr(-,root,system,-)
> /usr/local/bin/*
> /usr/local/lib/*
> /usr/local/share/*
> /usr/local/include/*
>
> thanks

Red Hat GmbH, http://www.de.redhat.com/ Registered seat: Grasbrunn,
Managing Directors: Charles Cachera, Michael Cunningham, Michael
O'Neill, Charles Peters