Compare source package (src.rpm) with its binary version

Hi,
I have a requirement where I need to compare the source package with its corresponding binary package, and determine which is the most recent. If the source is more recent, then rebuild the binary package.  If the source package is not the most recent, then do nothing.

I have looked at the python and c API's for rpm, and it appears to be possible, but I am not sure if I can access the ".EVR()" method for both binary and source packages.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Kevin