rpmbuild harmless error message

I have a spec file to package an internal application that generates the following error messages which appear to happen before the prep section:

        tar:  Error in writing to standard output
        tar:  Error is not recoverable exiting now

then it starts processing the prep section, and eventually successfully builds the rpm packages.

Can someone help me track down what the problem is and how I may get rid of the problem.