Re: How to install RPM as a user, root installation not allowed

On 04/01/2013 12:33 PM, David Abdurachmanov wrote:
Hi Panu,

We built software stack of ~250 RPMs, which is later installed on
user machines and GRID sites. That stack also includes standard linux
packages, e.g., zlib.

Here is the patch we use on 4.8.0:
http://cmssw.cvs.cern.ch/cgi-bin/cmssw.cgi/COMP/CMSDIST/rpm-4.8.0-remove-chroot-check.patch?revision=1.1

Oh, that's quite different from what I was talking about. That's not a "root check", chroot() is a privileged operation and the privilege to perform it IS required for installing to an alternate root. If chroot() is getting called unnecessarily then that's yet another kind of an issue.

In rpm >= 4.9.x, all chroot() operations are wrapped behind an internal API which supposedly does not try to do chroot() when its actually not needed, so that shouldn't be an issue anymore. If it is, I'm going to need more details...

	- Panu -