Re: How to install RPM as a user, root installation not allowed

On 04/01/2013 11:19 AM, Panu Matilainen wrote:
On 04/01/2013 08:48 AM, David Abdurachmanov wrote:
Hi,

Currently I am using RPM 4.8.0, which quite some patches already.
Oneof is ability to install packages as user, not at as root. We are
running a system where all your packages must be installed with a
special user, which is not root for security reasons.

Does RPM 4.11.0.1 already has the options for non-root install, or
it  still requires patching to drop root user check?

Generally rpm doesn't much care about the actual user used to run it,
but come to think of it, there's about one spot where rpm explicitly
checks for root, which is chmod() and friends which traditionally
require root.

I suppose your special user is roughly equal to root in terms of
privileges, just a different uid? That's a different case from what
people typically refer to as "non-root installation" (meaning
installation by non-privileged user), and okay I can see how that would
be problematic - yes the ancient check surrounding chmod() is still there.

Erm... chown(), not chmod().

	- Panu -