Re: Questions for running 'rpm' -e in %pre

On 04/29/2010 09:03 AM, WangXinpeng wrote:
Hi,
   I have a question what about running 'rpm' command in the script of %pre.
   Now, I need create a RPM package to upgrade the old version of our product to newest version. At first, we should backup old configuration and uninstall old version of our product. so, I write the script in %pre to run 'rpm -e XXX'.
In general this should not be necessary. You can do the backup of the data within the %pre script of the new version. If the package gets updated the old version is removed afterwards. RPM takes care that only left over files get deleted and the new ones stay.

Of course you can get into trouble if the old packges is broken. If you explain your actual problem we might come up with another solution than calling rpm -e.

Florian