Re: Questions for running 'rpm' -e in %pre

On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 9:03 AM, WangXinpeng <wangxp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,
 I have a question what about running 'rpm' command in the script of %pre.
 Now, I need create a RPM package to upgrade the old version of our product to newest version. At first, we should backup old configuration and uninstall old version of our product. so, I write the script in %pre to run 'rpm -e XXX'.
IMHO, not exactly a nice thing to do : better to package your application in first place for this example.

BTW, perhaps this links could be useful to you - i hope i can put this refs here -

http://rpm5.org/community/rpm-users/0263.html

It is trivial to convert this toy spec in what do you want probably

http://rpm5.org/community/rpm-users/att-0263/yum-pull-update.tar.gz

But beware that many on this list think  it is very dangerous to do what you're doing, as calling rpm inside an rpm could compromise the rpmdb, for many reasons, repeated countless times. Search "rpm package bundle" if you are interested.

hth

 It could be run on Redhat 3 but not Redhat 5. And follow message had been displayed in command line.
 "warning: waiting for transaction lock on /var/lib/rpm/__db.000"
 And follow messages had been shown after pressed Ctrl-C.
 "error: can't create transaction lock on /var/lib/rpm/__db.000"

 I searched it on the web. Most answers are rpm only could be run one instance in the same time. But, why the rpm of redhat 3 (R4.2.3) could do it, but not on Redhat 5(R4.4.2.3). By the way, I tested it on Fedora 12 with RPM 4.7.1. It  also could not be done..

 It could not be done from which RPM version? And why it changed? How to do it if I want to uninstall the old version of our product before install the new version of our product?

 I am sorry for my bad english.
 Thanks a lot!