Re: Files listed twice question

Adrián Márques wrote:
Hi there,

I'm an absolute newbie trying to package an application with RPM for the first time and would like to mark some files as config files. The top directory of this aplication has several files and directories, only two of which hold config files. Thus, I'm doing something like this in my spec file:

%files
/usr/local/myAppTopDir/

Just a question - any reason in particular why you are using /usr/local instead of /opt ?

/usr/local is suppose to be for applications compiled from source on the machine, /opt is for third party vendor packages (be they rpm or tarball or whatever)

%config /usr/local/myAppTopDir/configDir1/*
%config /usr/local/myAppTopDir/configDir2/*

Obviously, this generates several 'file listed twice' warnings. However, I queried the generated rpm and didn't find anything wrong with it. All config files where included and correctly marked as config files.

So my questions are: can I safely ignore these warnings or listing files twice like I have causes a problem I'm not seeing now? is there a better way to do what I want?

I usually do something like this -

echo "%%defattr(-,root,root,-)" > custom.list
for dir in `find $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/usr/local -type d`; do
  fixed="`echo ${dir} |sed s?"$RPM_BUILD_ROOT"?""?`"
  if [ `echo $fixed |grep -c "configDir"` -eq 0 ]; then
    echo "%%dir $fixed" >> custom.list
  fi
done
for file in `find RPM_BUILD_ROOT/usr/local -type f`; do
etc.

then

%files -f custome.list
%defattr(-,root,root.-)
%config /usr/local/myAppTopDir/configDir1/*
%config /usr/local/myAppTopDir/configDir2/*

If the config files are something the sysadmin is to edit, it's generally a good idea to do

%config(noreplace) instead of just %config

I have been looking through the list archives so I know many of you would advice me to explicitly list all files. I know this would take care of this particular problem, but I don't want to do that unless I really have to, since I find globbing significantly more practical in this case.

I thank you already for taking the time to read this.

Regards.

Adrián.