Re: Didactic spec file suggestions?

> I'm just starting with RPM packaging. I've been reading around a lot and
> everyone recommends learning from working spec files of other projects.
> I've also read comments about how it is not uncommon to find 'bad rpm
> practices' in some of these.
> Right now I'm checking out spec files at random from JPackage (I have to
> package a java app).
>
> Do any of you have suggestions on what freely-available spec files are
> worth checking out for a newcomer? The most valuable for me would be
> those that illustrate how to do key elements of packaging 'the right
> way'. Right now I'm particularly interested in how to list files and
> what logic (not)to put in the %pre, %post, %preun, and %postun scripts,
> but I'm sure other things will come up soon enough.
>
> I'd highly appreciate any suggestions; even more so if you could also
> mention why you deem those spec files to be important or which aspects
> of them are relevant in particular.

I strongly recommend checking out a few documents:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Java
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/JPackagePolicy
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingTricks
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/FrequentlyMadeMistakes

You might check out this one for Java, but they is just a draft and I
haven't checked it out:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/JavaPackageNaming

Another one that is very good to read is the presentation that Tom Callaway
gives at the RH Summit.

http://www.redhat.com/promo/summit/2008/downloads/pdf/Wednesday_130pm_Tom_Callaway_OSS.pdf

-greg