Best way to handle modified startup scripts

Hello all,

At my company we've got some RPMs that replace the startup scripts that install with say, iptables or httpd, in order to rebuild the config file as part of what they do.

Currently we install with --force, and I'm not thrilled about it.

Is there an rpm-friendly way to supplant these packages -- or would that involve basically having to fork one's own distro with custom packages all throughout?

-Dan