Re: question on spec file "%kmdl"

On Wed, Feb 13, 2008 at 06:01:56AM +0200, Axel Thimm wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 12, 2008 at 03:51:12PM -0600, Paul Johnson wrote:

> > > Install atrpms-rpm-config. As well as any kernel headers/sources you
> > > need to build kmdls for.

> > > What's wrong with defining macros? Nowadays even cmake defines its own
> > > macros (nothing against cmake or its macros), and a more complex setup
> > > like kernel modules is in need for abstaction even more so.
> > > --
> >
> > What's wrong?  One needs to install your package of macros on every
> > machine on which rpms are to be created.  In a fast moving environment
> > where one is managing a lot of different kinds of rpm systems (some
> > Fedora, Scientifc Linux, some RedHat of various generations), it is
> > easiest to rely on the default macros that work all of the time to
> > build RPMs. On some systems, I don't have root permissions, and can
> > build RPMs in my account.

I forgot to add that contrary to any other BR you may have the
atrpms-rpm-config package does not need to be "installed" on a root
level. If you can't install the package, you can still copy its
contents into ~/.rpmmacros. So in comparison to a BuildRequires:
foo-devel which is not pre-installed in your setups you don't actually
need root permission to apply the macros, e.g. a less severe situation
than when dealing with truly missing BRs on (ch)roots you cannot
alter.

And BTW2 I'm the first to welcome atrpms-rpm-config to become part of
the standard Fedora/RHEL setup. In fact that was the reason I was in
the FPC for quite a long time now (well, ever since it was created).

--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net