Re: question on spec file "%kmdl"

On Tue, Feb 12, 2008 at 03:51:12PM -0600, Paul Johnson wrote:
> 2008/2/10 Axel Thimm <Axel.Thimm@xxxxxxxxxx>:

> > Install atrpms-rpm-config. As well as any kernel headers/sources you
> > need to build kmdls for.
> >
> > > I've run into this many times.  My solution is  avoid ATRPMs at all
> > > cost. AT created his own rpm macro scheme and unless you install his
> > > devel packages, you will have trouble.  So I avoid them.
> >
> > What's wrong with defining macros? Nowadays even cmake defines its own
> > macros (nothing against cmake or its macros), and a more complex setup
> > like kernel modules is in need for abstaction even more so.
> > --
>
> What's wrong?  One needs to install your package of macros on every
> machine on which rpms are to be created.  In a fast moving environment
> where one is managing a lot of different kinds of rpm systems (some
> Fedora, Scientifc Linux, some RedHat of various generations), it is
> easiest to rely on the default macros that work all of the time to
> build RPMs. On some systems, I don't have root permissions, and can
> build RPMs in my account.

If you don't have permission to alter the contents of a build
(ch)root, then you have many problems with building rpms where any BR
has not been installed for you in advance. Especially your own rpms
that other rpms of yours may be depdending on.

> The ATrpms config package can't be installed there, and I'm totally
> dead in the water.  Sometimes people allow me to log into their
> systems as a user and build a package for other people who have that
> same system, but I can't install special macros on those systems
> just to build an RPM.  And I do perfectly fine RPMS with the
> standard macros.  I have trouble not only with ATrpms, but also
> Mandriva and SUSE for this reason.

You will also have trouble if the systems in question require BR that
have not been preinstalled or that you have to build yourself. Just as
you will have to ask the users/admins for permissions to do so in
those cases you woould have to do so with the atrpms-rpm-config
package.

Or you need a non-root build system which may be released soon on
rpmrepo.org.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net