Re: using rpmbuild with cvs sources

Bruce Pennypacker wrote:
> I'm in the process of starting to set up some of this to build for
> our growing linux base. ... I'm stuck on the proper way of
> identifying the sources in my .spec file. I really don't want to
> have to write wrappers for each project to simply do a cvs checkout
> and gzip it just so rpmbuild can then unzip it and build it.

Why not?  There are a lot of advantages.  Then rpmbuild can create
true .src.rpm files.  Then the process flow falls into a normal flow
the same as other rpm build steps.  I personally would (and have)
build a tar.gz file and then build from it.

> Is there a good (preferably simple) way of having rpmbuild simply
> check out an entire cvs project tree as the source rather than
> trying to grab and unzip a package?

The "%prep" script is a script.  You can put any commands you wish
there.  Of course the common thing is to use a "%setup" macro but that
is not required.  You can instead of "%setup" simply checkout the
sources from cvs.  Something like this (UNTESTED):

  %prep
  %setup -q -c -T
  cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs@xxxxxxxxxxx:/cvsroot/project checkout -d %{name}-${version} %{name}

Bob