Re: Frustrated trying to build beecrypt & rpm on a Debian system whereI'm not root

On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 10:30:34 -0600 "Paul Johnson" <pauljohn32@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Nov 25, 2007 4:41 PM, Mike Meyer <mwm-keyword-rpm.43b295@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 15:21:25 -0600 "Paul Johnson" <pauljohn32@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >

> > Can you make sure that createrepo is using the Python you think it
> > should? That's the only explanation I can think of for the error you
> > quoted earlier.
>
> YES! That's it.  createrepo is just this:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> exec /usr/share/createrepo/genpkgmetadata.py "$@"
>
> But the programs called by createrepo had the /usr/bin/python hard
> coded in, so it was accessing 2.3's executable but it was trying to
> use libs for 2.4.
>
> After fixing that, now I'm back full circle to the original problem.
> I build & install the rpm python modues under
> $HOME/packages/lib/python2.4, but even though I add that directory to
> $PYTHONPATH, then the run of create repo  fails because it cannot find
> the module "rpm".

That's probably because the rpm module is a Red Hat thing, not a
Python thing. An RPM of Python 2.4 for a system with Python 2.3 on it
probably doesn't include the rpm module because it's not generally
needed outside the RH utilities, which all pretty much require that
you use the version of python installed with the system (if for no
other reason than that you get the non-standard modules that are
installed with it).

Not sure which way to advise you to go from here....

    <mike
--
Mike Meyer <mwm@xxxxxxxxx>		http://www.mired.org/consulting.html