Re: New directive for %files section (%exclude)

On Wednesday, 19 September 2007, at 16:17:45 (-0600),
Dmitry S. Makovey wrote:

> Out of pure curiosity (and for the sake of flaming at all) could you
> please give some usecases when such technique (described by Philip
> P.) backfires?  Building packages myself I am very interested in a
> ways to improve packaging.

It's not really a question of use case.  It's a risk/benefit
tradeoff.  Packages that hardcode specific file lists are not as
portable (e.g., across distros) and require greater maintenance for
updates (as installed files are added or removed).  However, doing it
that way does mean that you'll "know" (by virtue of build failures) if
any capabilities appear or disappear.  I would submit that that's the
wrong way to "know" such things, but I'm sure others would disagree.

> For example: some packages I built contain enormous number of files
> (3K+) - what do you do then? Obviously you can't enumerate all of
> them and it's hard to track every single change even between
> upstream revisions (changed 10 filenames etc.)

You most certainly can enumerate them all.  There's a difference
between "can't" and "would be a pain in the ass to."  :-)

But again, it's a tradeoff:  if you need the fine-grain dictatorial
control (which I refered to as fascist) over what each package
provides, you must tolerate the pain of complete manual file list
enumeration.  But if you believe, as I do, that packaging is
descriptive, not prescriptive, using globs is not only reasonable but
encouraged.

Michael

--
Michael Jennings (a.k.a. KainX)  http://www.kainx.org/  <mej@xxxxxxxxx>