Re: New directive for %files section (%exclude)

On September 18, 2007, Rodrigo Barbosa wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 13, 2007 at 08:34:14PM -0700, Philip Prindeville wrote:
> >  %{_libexecdir}/mod_*.so
>
> This is such a bad practice I almost cried from reading this e-mail.
>
> NEVER do this. Ever.
>
> If you reuse your specfile for a new version of the package, you
> will completely loose (developer) control of which files are in
> your package.
>
> Also name all your files.

Out of pure curiosity (and for the sake of flaming at all) could you please
give some usecases when such technique (described by Philip P.) backfires?
Building packages myself I am very interested in a ways to improve packaging.

For example: some packages I built contain enormous number of files (3K+) -
what do you do then? Obviously you can't enumerate all of them and it's hard
to track every single change even between upstream revisions (changed 10
filenames etc.)

If you feel more comfortable replying off-list please do so - either way I'm
interested in your opinion. thanks.

--
Dmitry Makovey
Web Systems Administrator