Re: Supported Linux Versions

On Thursday, 19 April 2007, at 06:04:32 (-0700),
Wyse, Chris wrote:

> I have a customer that would like us to stop using source RPMs for
> distribution.  He says that many Linux distributions do not support
> SRPMS.  Does anyone know which distributions do NOT support SRPMS?

Your customer is wrong.  All LSB-compliant distributions support
SRPM's at least enough to allow you to extract the sources from them.
While it may not be their native package format, that doesn't mean
it's "unsupported."

You just need to educate your customer.  On any system you mentioned,
installing "rpm-build" and using the "rpmbuild --rebuild" command on
the SRPM should work (assuming your SRPM is as portable as you say it
is).  Other systems will need something like "rpm2cpio foo.src.rpm |
cpio -iud" to extract the sources, then patch and build by hand.

Michael

--
Michael Jennings (a.k.a. KainX)  http://www.kainx.org/  <mej@xxxxxxxxx>