Re: Supported Linux Versions

On Apr 19, 2007, at 9:04 AM, Wyse, Chris wrote:

Hi,

I have a customer that would like us to stop using source RPMs for distribution.  He says that many Linux distributions do not support SRPMS.  Does anyone know which distributions do NOT support SRPMS?

All linux distros that don't use rpm don't support srpm's.

All linux distros that do use rpm support srpm's, at least in the sense
that a srpm can be installed using /bin/rpm, and built using rpmbuild.

Also, I distribute a carefully crafted RPM that supports SUSE 9.2, 9.3, 10, SLED 10, openSuse 10.2, RHEL3, RHEL4, RHEL5, FC4, FC5, and FC6.  Is this the typical way to distribute software on Linux?   Should I also release a tarball?  Or use some other method?  Comments?

All depends on whether the list above covers your desired customer base.

If not, you will need to augment the list.

Likely a *.deb (or carefully examining alien rpm -> deb conversion) might
be needed.

Tarball's are certainly a universally supported distribution format.

FWIW, there's rpm2cpio.sh which can be used to extract rpm contents
on systems that do not wish to use rpm.

73 de Jeff