Re: Supported Linux Versions

Hi,

Perhaps your customer doesn't want to perform compilations or is using an
embedded system that doesn't have gcc present in its filesystem due to the
filesystem being on a space limited media (flash, etc.).  In any case, you
could deliver a binary RPM for your customers exact environment/kernel
version.  This would require you to have a system that closely matches the
customers environment and which includes gcc.  You may even need their
kernel config depending on whether or not your product is kernel based.
You could use your existing SRPM, build the binary RPM, and send it to the
customer.  This becomes a tedious task over time as new releases become
available so it is always best to convince the customer to learn to use
SRPMs when possible.  It would also require you to maintain a customer
build environment.

This of course assumes they want RPM at all.  Tell us more about the
requirement and we can help narrow down the options.

On Thu, 19 Apr 2007, Wyse, Chris wrote:

> Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 06:04:32 -0700
> From: "Wyse, Chris" <chris.wyse@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: rpm-list@xxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Supported Linux Versions
>
> Hi,
>
> I have a customer that would like us to stop using source RPMs for
> distribution.  He says that many Linux distributions do not support
> SRPMS.  Does anyone know which distributions do NOT support SRPMS?
>
> Also, I distribute a carefully crafted RPM that supports SUSE 9.2, 9.3,
> 10, SLED 10, openSuse 10.2, RHEL3, RHEL4, RHEL5, FC4, FC5, and FC6.  Is
> this the typical way to distribute software on Linux?   Should I also
> release a tarball?  Or use some other method?  Comments?
>

> Chris Wyse
> Member of Technical Staff
> Embedded Technologies
> 860-749-1556 office