Re: /var 100% used error

On 4/10/07, Atul Ankola <atul_ankola@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello,

We've run into a problem if we try to install an rpm file when the /var
partition is full.  It seems like the rpm lock file aren't removed after a
failure in this scenario.

Here's a summary of the steps below:
1) filled up /var until there is no room
2) tried to install the rpm, which fails
3) cleared up room in /var
4) tried to install the rpm, which fails
5) removed the lock file
6) tried to install the rpm, which worked.

What is the best solution to this?  Should the application remove the lock
file before/after the installation?  Should RPM remove the lock file when a
failure is detected?

There are several errors here.

"Don't do that." is the best answer for ENOSPC on /var.

Meanwhile, stale locks are automatically detected and removed on next rpmdb open
in rpm-4.4.8 and later.

Adding --ignoresize isn't going to create more space on /var either.

73 de Jeff