Re: How to preseve the file attributes on the target?

On 11/22/06, Kamal Hussain <kamalh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi All,
I am trying to map SVR4 packages to RPM and having problems in mapping
some of the attributes.

In SVR4 package, you can specify "?" for mode, owner and group which
means these attributes will be left unchanged if they already exist on
the target. I am not able to find an equivalent to specify attributes in
RPM. Is there any way we can tell an RPM package to honor the file
attributes on the target and not to change it?

There's no direct mapping, rpm is pickier than pkgadd, all files in package
payloads must have a defined mode/owner/group when installing.

One can disable verification of permission/owner/group using %verify
attributes however.

It would not be hard to add the functionality, I'm not sure what would
be gained,
except for feature parity with pkgadd.

73 de Jeff