RE: %files directive with relocation in %install

>> If you're not a distribution provider, you should not be
>> putting things in the distribution provider's space (/usr).
>>
>> http://www.pathname.com/fhs/
>>

>So where does LSB install executables?

"third party" packages are supposed to go in /opt by the
FHS guidelines, under a subdirectory that is either a
provider name or a package name, either one should be
registered at www.lanana.org.  LSB references these, so
those are also the rules for LSB-conforming packages.
(For the LSB project itself, /opt/lsb, since "lsb" is
our reserved provider name).

"the system administrator" gets to have /usr/local,
which I take to mean built-from-source stuff as
someone else said on this thread.

All this is just about avoidance of possible namespace
clashes, because there's no canonical list you can
consult which would make a statement like
"/usr/lib/libfoo.so is reserved to Fedora on Fedora Core
systems, but nobody is using /usr/lib/libbar.so so that's
safe to install, and once you take it, nobody else can
ave that file name".  So the FHS guys decided to do it in
reserved chunks of the filesystem namespace, instead.

-- mats