RE: %files directive with relocation in %install

Le mardi 27 juin 2006 à 16:36 -0700, Wichmann, Mats D a écrit :
> >> Okay. So should I stick with 'Prefix: /usr/local' and %{prefix}?
> >
> >Only if you're going to use /usr/local.  But you shouldn't.
> >
> >If your package is not relocatable, don't use Prefix: at all.
> >
> >> Also, can you elaborate on the 'misguidedly'. I was originally going
> >> to set the prefix to /usr but someone on my team told me that
> >> /usr/local is where non-system installed packages should go.
> >>
> >> I originally thought that /usr was for ANY managed package, and
> >> /usr/local was for things compiled from source. Is that the correct
> >> interpretation.
> >
> >Yes, you are correct.  Your teammate is wrong.
>
> If you're not a distribution provider, you should not be
> putting things in the distribution provider's space (/usr).

The FHS states :

%<--------------------------
/usr/local : Local hierarchy

Purpose
The /usr/local hierarchy is for use by the system administrator when
installing software locally.
------------------------------>%

As soon as something is packaged it can be re-distributed and deployed
on many systems, so it's certainly not a local install anymore. Doesn't
matter who is doing the distribution : when you package software you
almost always intend to install it on more than a single system, so the
install is not local to this system.

You *do* need to put unpackaged software in /usr/local, because without
packaging you have zero protection against collision with packaged
software.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot