Re: Can't produce output

On Monday, 24 April 2006, at 16:27:24 (-0700),
Wichmann, Mats D wrote:

> when we set lots of cool stuff via macros, we lose the ability for
> others to reproduce the same build from srpm, unless we find a way
> for them to get the macro files too.  for some stuff it doesn't
> matter, for example the settings to rehost a build in a local
> non-root tree from the system default don't actually affect the
> results of the build, but other macro settings may affect the actual
> build... are there ways to help with that?  does Mezzanine (which
> I've been meaning to look at for ages) help with that kind of thing?

Sorry it took so long to reply.

Mezzanine does not use any extraneous macro files whatsoever.  All
macros needed to redirect the build are passed on the command line.
It can even chroot into a jail and su to a different user for the
build, all handled internally.

As a matter of philosophy, I hate vendor packages (like Mandrake,
Livna, and others) that use proprietary macros (%mklibname, anyone? or
%kmdl from a few days ago?).  So I try very hard to use only standard
macros, defining any non-standard ones I use in the spec file itself.
Even if that means the same macro gets defined in a few different spec
files.

It's a small price to pay, in my opinion, for the ability of someone
to type "mzbuild http://somesite.com/path/to/foo.src.rpm"; and have it
work.

Michael

--