Re: compiling rpm 4.4.4 on Solaris 2.9

On Jan 25, 2006, at 11:50 AM, Aleksandar Milivojevic wrote:

Quoting Jeff Johnson <n3npq.jbj@xxxxxxxxx>:

... snip ...

Thanks for the Solaris fixing.

Send a patch to rpm-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx when you finish and I will merge

I got it to compile, but still need to test if everything works OK. There's some warning message about creating lock on "/" when initializing database, but it seems it creates it.

Anyhow, got some other urgent things to work on, so it might take some time until I produce a patch. Here's the short list of things if anybody else needs to compile it on Solaris 9 in the meantime (and also remineder to myself when I get to it again):

Remove all ucblib stuff.  Evil.

Not evil, just old. Was needed way back when.

Configure puts -R../zlib option into Makefiles. Compiler/linker barks on it (argument to -R must be absolute path). It is not needed anyhow (zlib is statically linked). Remove.

will fix.

db.h in rpmdb is a copy from Linux. Use the customized one (for build system) from db directory instead.

rm rpmdb/db.h should regenerate the link (or copy, I fergit).

rpmdb/rpmdb.c needs to include signal.h (I think I moved this to rpmio/rpmsq.h).

rpmio/rpmsq.h is the right place.

File lib/rpmds.c. Put _SC_ULONG_MAX and _SC_UINT_MAX into ifdefs (they don't exist on Solaris). Also part that references utsname- >domainname (for example, by adding HAVE_UTSNAME_DOMAINNAME to config.h), no domainname in utsname on Solaris.

will fix.

Makefile in python directory. Configure places string 'pythonyes' for include and lib directory. Should be (for example) python2.4. Seems configure detects python, but fails to detect version or something.

--with-python=2.4, not --with-python=yes. the autoconfiggery usually guesses the python version correctly.

misc/libmisc.a needs to have error.o compiled and included into it on Solaris (no error function in standard system libs).

hmm, error.c perhaps not the most useful or essential routine. I'll try to eliminate somewhen.
In util and toplevel directories, add misc/libmisc.a to LIBS (couple of binaries need error.o from it).

probably, but eliminating error.o is prolly bestest.

During make install, popt libs get installed. This might overwrite already installed system libs. If RPM needs its own copy, it should statically link them or intall them under different name. Install shouldn't be done in popt directory (or it should install them under different name).

rm -rf popt before running ./configure if you want to use system popt.

tnx for the report. I'll try to sneak onto a solaris box in the next week.

73 de Jeff