compiling rpm 4.4.4 on Solaris 2.9

I'm compiling (attempting to) rpm 4.4.4 on Solaris 2.9 system. Run into some trouble, and am slowly fixing it.

Just wondering has anybody managed to compile the thing under Solaris 2.9?

The first obstacle was creating liblua.a. The makefiles issued "-R../zlib" to linker (equivalent of -rpath on Linux). Which of course doesn't fly. -R option can accept only absolute pathnames, of course. Otherwise, it would be security disaster waiting to happen (and would produce unpredictable results during runtime anyhow) if it was allowed. OK, I changed autogenerated Makefile by hand (haven't had time to look into Makefile.in to fix this yet).

The second obstacle is that configure haven't detected that Solaris has inet_aton function. So rpmio.c failed to compile with following:

rpmio.c:42: error: static declaration of 'inet_aton' follows non-static declaration /usr/include/arpa/inet.h:52: error: previous declaration of 'inet_aton' was here

Oh well, I guess I'll just change config.h and define correct value. And also check why it failed to detect it.

While typing this, I just saw librpmio.la target failed for the same reason like liblua.a. -R../zlib....

BTW, another ugly thing during build process. Seems some (most? all?) linking is done using -L/usr/ucblib -R/usr/ucblib. Huh... /usr/ucb* stuff is (according to Sun) completely broken and not maintained in any way for a past decade or so... Don't see any reason for any recent development to use that stuff. Escpecially since nothing in rpm build process uses include files from /usr/ucbinclude. Thinking about changing all Makefiles and removing references to /usr/ucblib.