Re: Detecting version of rpm in a spec file

On Jan 10, 2006, at 1:43 PM, Michael A. Peters wrote:

On Tue, 2006-01-10 at 11:27 -0700, Rob Riggs wrote:
Michael A. Peters wrote:

pan being the example because requiring gedit pulls in gnome stuff that pan itself doesn't need and the user doesn't need if they prefer NEdit
or pine.

Sounds like pan should depend on a virtual capability like "editor" or
"gui-editor"

unfortunately none of the gui-editors use that, and since the config is
set up (in Fedora) to use gedit by default, it probably should pull it
in if its not installed. Suggests (I hope) will allow people (assuming
yum/apt/smart at some point support it) will allow users who want thin
systems to configure their systems to ignore suggests so they don't have
to accept the dependency bloat if they don't want the gnome stuff.

You seem to want to use Requires(hint): for install dependencies.

That functionality is almost certainly going to take quite a bit of time
to change, the critical path is determined by yum/apt/smart development (if any).

Recent experience tells me years, not months or weeks, for the toolchain to change.

OTOH, there is also
    BuildRequires(hint):
that could be made sensitive to the already existing --with macros fairly simply (i.e. no explicit macro gunk in spec files needed to accomodate).

I suspect that BuildSuggests (aka BuildRequires(hint)) is the first step towards defining
and using a reliable "optional" or "variant" dependency functionality.

73 de Jeff