Re: rh-rpm] on hold...

On Sat, 6 Aug 2005, Bob Proulx wrote:

asking if I considered it a problem) But it is true enough that I
have no inclination to wade through a cesspool for people who cannot
configure their MUA to retain copies of sent email. I do not see
that as a problem ;)

It was pretty obvious that you did not consider it a problem.  As you
said "all that is caught is discarded unread".  If you don't
intrinsically see that as a problem then I doubt anything I could say
would change your mind. [...]

But since you brought up the point, don't you see it as a problem that
mail in the mailing list hold queue is discarded?

Nope. Not one which either of us will be able to solve further. The list address is on both virus target lists and UCE 'prospect' lists. Many of them. The requirement to be subscribed to post is doing its job and causing much random cruft to be caught. The size limit threshold is carching still more. I have solved the problem to the extent I can solve it.

[There was a later post asking about posted patches, etc. Bugzilla is your friend. Sample configs _should_ be trimmed to the meat anyway, and will get through if that is done. When they are caught, to me, that is not a false positive. The re-post (to avoid size limits) of three full configs earlier in the week, with no subject line had me wondering at the intent of the poster.]

At the least I suggest running the mail through SpamAssassin or other
automated categorization software with tests better than a simple >4kb
then discard it rule.  If you are trying to block viruses then run it
through a virus scanner such as clamav.

Fine idea - Out of my control as I do not admin the Red Hat mailing list inbound server, but I suspect as there is a single domain being used both for their corporate email, and their mailing lists, that load, and false positive worries are prominient concerns. (I volunteer to co-admin the list, and am not a Red Hat'er; and so only extrapolate from my experience running large volume mail servers in ISP and corporate environments.)

-- Russ Herrold