newbie chroot type question...

Forgive me if this is a very basic question, but I'm a little new to RPM.

What I'm trying to do is setup a build enviroment for my users who depend on certain releases of compiler & libraries that came with redhat9. My approach has been to install a box from media that works an a build host with the smallest number of packages, and then use that list (/root/install.log) to 'rpm -Uvh --root /some/new/rootDir someRpm.rpm' over the entire list on a non redhat9 box. Seems reasonable. The list is about 500 packages.

Funny thing is, even though the list I have is ordered (I assume), I some packages still fail to install because of failed dependencies.

So my questions are these:
1. Is there a better approach? Maybe this is a common task.
2. Does the new root dir need a rpm database of its own to make this work?
3. Are there some commonly used tools out htere to help me resolve the depdencies quicker?

Any advice at all would be great.