Re: Embedding rpm inside another rpm

On 01/10/2005 07:33:22 AM, Eli Carter wrote:
Amritanshu Johri wrote:
Guess 1: Pretty much sums what I need guess 2 was a bouncer couldn't
understand what it meant :-S but dependency just implies that XYZ needs
to be installed before ABC right ? It doesn't package it in single
binary?

Eli Carter wrote:
Guess 1: You want to include more than one RPM package, but only want to
give the user a single file?
Answer 1: Use a dependency.

There may be a way to bundle RPMs together so that rpm will install all of them, but I don't know how to do that. I tend to use apt or yum to do my installs, so installing more than one RPM isn't a big deal.

However, rather than doing an rpm -i inside an rpm, just tar up the .rpm's and tack a bit of shell script on the front to unpack and install the rpms. You do need to have the dependency too.

Another thing you can do inside the shell script is use yum to install from within the packed up tarball so that any dependencies provided by the base operating system get dragged in if needed.

yum localinstall *.rpm should work.

Well, it might not work if the packages are not signed - or signed with a PGP key that has not been imported by the user, but you can have the script check for that and import your PGP key if necessary (though it really should ask the user first)

If the files are to be served from a webserver somewhere, then no need for a tarball, just set up a yum server and a groups file for yum to use, and have the install instruction be

yum groupinstall yourgroup

That may even be possible with a localinstall, if a group package is within the tarball - I don't know.