Re: Embedding rpm inside another rpm

Amritanshu Johri wrote:
Guess 1: Pretty much sums what I need guess 2 was a bouncer couldn't
understand what it meant :-S but dependency just implies that XYZ needs
to be installed before ABC right ? It doesn't package it in single
binary?

Eli Carter wrote:
Guess 1: You want to include more than one RPM package, but only want to
give the user a single file?
Answer 1: Use a dependency.

There may be a way to bundle RPMs together so that rpm will install all of them, but I don't know how to do that. I tend to use apt or yum to do my installs, so installing more than one RPM isn't a big deal.

However, rather than doing an rpm -i inside an rpm, just tar up the .rpm's and tack a bit of shell script on the front to unpack and install the rpms. You do need to have the dependency too.

For example, create a .tar.gz with your two rpms, and tack that onto the end of a shell script like this:
#!/bin/sh
tail +4 $0 | (cd /tmp && tar -xzf - && rpm -i ABC-1.rpm XYZ-1.rpm && rm ABC-1.rpm XYZ-1.rpm)
exit 0

(Untested, YMMV, may do terrible things to your system, etc, etc, etc.)

HTH,

Eli
--------------------. "If it ain't broke now,
Eli Carter           \                  it will be soon." -- crypto-gram
eli.carter(a)inet.com `-------------------------------------------------

Confidentiality Notice:   This e-mail transmission may contain
confidential and/or privileged information that is intended only for the
individual or entity named in the e-mail address. If you are not the
intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure,
copying, distribution or reliance upon the contents of this e-mail
message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail
transmission in error, please reply to the sender, so that proper
delivery can be arranged, and please delete the message from your
computer.  Thank you.
Tektronix Texas, LLC formerly Inet Technologies, Inc.